Steam, Bronze, and Fire
The Darkspawn are Orc-like beings that have adapted to the harsh life in the The Underdark, and their cunning cuts like a Drow’s blade. They are savage and aggressive, wily and resourceful, using any and every advantage they can find to emerge on top. They thrive in the darkness, but years of living in the Underdark has made them incredibly susceptible to light, and they cannot function efficiently while within bright light. Darkspawn aren’t the brightest bunch around, but are surprisingly easy to talk to.
Darkspawn Racial Traits
- +2 Strength, +2 Constitution, -2 Intelligence, -2 Charisma: Darkspawn are strong and tough, but not particularly bright, and generally disliked by all other races.
- Medium: As a Medium creatures, Darkspawn have no special bonuses or penalties due to their size.
- Darkspawn base land speed is 30ft.
- Darkvision: Darkspawn can see in the dark up to 120ft. Darkvision is black and white only, but it is otherwise like normal sight, and Darkspawn function best with no light at all.
- Weapon Familiarity: Darkspawn may treat Orc Double Axes s martial weapons, rather than exotic weapons.
- Immunity to all fear effects: After centuries in the Underdark, nothing frightens a Darkspawn.
- +2 Racial bonus on Perception checks: Darkspawn are perceptive and have keen senses, something they developed long ago to survive in their savage subterranean home.
- Fast Healing 1 (EX): Darkspawn regenerate 1 hit point of damage per round. It is unknown why or how the Darkspawn developed regenerative abilities since their time in the Underdark, but it is likely an adaptation for survival.
- Natural Cunning (EX): Although Darkspawn are not especially intelligent, they possess innate cunning and logical ability. This gives them immunity to Maze spells, prevent them from ever becoming lost, and enables them to track their enemies. Further, they are never caught Flat-Footed.
- Light Blindness: Abrupt exposure to bright light (such as sunlight, or a Daylight spell) blinds Darkspawn for 1 round (PHB305). On subsequent rounds, they are dazzled (-1 penalty to attack rolls, Spot checks, and Search checks) as long as they remain in the affected area.
- Automatic Languages: Common and Undercommon. Bonus Languages: Dwarven, Giant, and Goblin. Darkspawn, while not particularly intelligent, can generally speak multiple languages, something that either comes naturally to them, or that they are forced to learn to survive.
- Favored Class: Barbarian (males) or Cleric (females)
Return to Races