Steam, Bronze, and Fire
The Dwarves are the masterminds behind all of the worlds’ advancing technology. They design, build, and trade their craft all over the world, to any faction, as long as they can pay. Master smiths and artisans, Mountain Dwarves live in solitude in their mountain fortress. Some, less civilized Arctic Dwarves live in the frozen north among humans, but they are no less proficient in they ways of Steampunk technology.
Dwarf Racial Traits
- +2 Constitution, +2 Intelligence, -2 Charisma: Dwarves are stout, tough, and brilliant but tend to be gruff and reserved.
- Medium: As Medium creatures, Dwarves have no special bonuses or penalties due to their size.
- Dwarf base land speed is 20ft. However, Dwarves can move at this speed even when wearing medium or heavy armor or when carrying a medium or heavy load.
- Darkvision: Dwarves can see in the dark up to 60ft. Darkvision is black and white only, but it is otherwise like normal sight, and Dwarves can function just fine with no light at all.
- Craftcunning: This ability grants a Dwarf a +2 Racial bonus on Search checks to notice unusual stonework, metalwork, or mechanicalwork, such as sliding walls, traps, new construction (even when built to match the old), unsafe surfaces, shaky ceilings, and the like. Something that isn’t stone, metal, or mechanical but that is disguised as such counts as unusual stonework, metalwork or mechanicalwork. A Dwarf who merely comes within 10 feet of such work can make a Search check as if he were actively searching, and a Dwarf can use the Search skill to find stonework, metalwork, or mechanicalwork traps as a Rogue can. A Dwarf can also intuit depth, sensing his approximate depth underground as naturally as a Human can sense which way is up. Dwarves have a sixth sense about stonework, metalwork, and mechanicalwork, an innate ability that they get plenty of opportunity to practice and hone in their underground homes.
- Familiarity: Dwarves are proficient with battleaxes, heavy picks, and warhammers, and treat any weapon with the word “Dwarven” in its name as a martial weapon.
- Stability: Dwarves are exceptionally stable on their feet. A Dwarf gains a +4 bonus on ability checks made to resist being bull rushed or tripped when standing on the ground (but not when climbing, flying, riding, or otherwise not standing firmly on the ground).
- +2 Racial bonus to Saving Throws against poison: Dwarves are hardy and resistant to toxins.
- +2 Racial bonus on Saving Throws against spells and spell-like effects: Dwarves have an innate resistance to magic spells.
- +1 Racial bonus on attack rolls against Orcs (including Half-Orcs) and Goblinoids (including Goblins, Hobgoblins, and Bugbears). Dwarves are trained in the special combat techniques that allow them to fight their common enemies more efficiently.
- +4 Dodge bonus to Armor Class against monsters of the Giant type (such as Ogres, Trolls, and Hill Giants): this bonus represents special training that Dwarves undergo, during which they learn tricks that previous generations developed in their battles with Giants. Any time a creature loses its Dexterity bonus to Armor Class, such as when caught Flat-Footed, it loses its Dodge bonus too.
- +2 Racial bonus on Appraise checks that are related to stone, metal, minerals, and mechanical objects: Dwarves are familiar with valuable items of all kinds, especially those found within their lands.
- +4 Racial bonus on Craft checks that are related to stone, metal, minerals, and mechanics: Dwarves are especially capable craftsmen.
- +4 Racial bonus on attempts to sunder mechanical objects and equipment: Dwarves know how to break them as well as they know how to build them.
- Automatic Languages: Common and Dwarven. Bonus Languages: Giant, Gnomish, Goblin, Terran, Undercommon. Dwarves are familiar with the languages of their enemies and their subterranean allies.
- Favored Class: Fighter or Wizard
Return to Races