Steam, Bronze, and Fire
Gnome Racial Traits
- +2 Dexterity, +2 Intelligence, -2 Strength
- Small: Gnomes are Small creatures and gain a +1 size bonus to their AC, a +1 size bonus on attack rolls, a –1 penalty to their Combat Maneuver Bonus (CMB) and Combat Maneuver Defense (CMD), and a +4 size bonus on Stealth checks, but he uses smaller weapons than Humans use, and his lifting and carrying limits are 3/4 of those of a Medium character.
- Gnome base land speed is 20ft.
- Low-Light Vision: A Gnome can see twice as far as a Human in starlight, moonlight, torchlight, and similar conditions of poor illumination. He retains the ability to distinguish color under these conditions.
- Weapon Familiarity: Gnomes may treat Gnome Hooked Hammers (PHB118) as martial weapons rather than exotic weapons.
- Jury-Rig (EX): Gnomes can choose to attempt jury-rigged, or temporary, crafting checks. Doing this reduces the Craft (Mechanical) check DC by 5, and allows the Gnome to make the checks in as little as a full-round action. However, a jury-rig attempt can only fix a single problem with a check, and the jury-rig only lasts until the end of the current scene or encounter. The jury-rigged object no longer functions thereafter.
A character can also use jury-rig to hot-wire a car or jump-start an engine or mechanical device. The DC for this is at least 15, and it can be higher depending on the presence of security devices.
- Tinker (EX): Gnomes have a knack for problem solving and can make excellent use of scraps and spare parts. When making Craft checks, Gnomes reduce the cost and time spent crafting by 50%. The resulting item’s maximum durability is also 50%, however (i.e. HP).
Gnomes can also attempt Disable Device checks without tools with no penalty.
- +1 Racial bonus on attack rolls against Kobolds and Goblinoids (including Goblins, Hobgoblins, and Bugbears): Gnomes battle these creatures frequently and practice special techniques for fighting them.
- +4 Dodge bonus to Armor Class against monsters of the Giant type (such as Ogres, Trolls, and Hill Giants): This bonus represents special training that Gnomes undergo, during which they learn tricks that previous generations developed in their battles with Giants. Any time a creature loses its Dexterity bonus to Armor Class, such as when it’s caught Flat-Footed, it loses its Dodge bonus too.
- +2 Racial bonus on Perception checks: Gnomes have keen ears.
- Gnomes treat Craft (Mechanical/Engineering) as a class skill, regardless of their class.
- +2 Racial bonus to Craft (Mechanical/Engineering) checks: Gnomes are masters of tinkering and salvaging.
- Automatic Languages: Common and Gnome. Bonus Languages: Draconic, Dwarven, Elven, Giant, Goblin, and Orc. Gnomes deal with Elves and Dwarves more than Elves and Dwarves deal with one another, and they learn the languages of their enemies as well.
- Spell-Like abilities: 1/day—Mending . A Gnome with an Intelligence score of at least 10 also has the following Spell-Like Abilities: 1/day—Light Repair, Longstrider, Locate Object. Caster level = Gnome’s HD, save DC 10 + Gnome’s Int modifier + spell level.
- Favored Class: Rogue or Wizard
Return to Races